Maryland Cleaning Services
When Carpet Repair Makes Sense
Dec 16, 2014
If your carpet doesn’t look as good as it used to, your initial instinct might be to replace it. This will definitely solve the problem, but in some cases replacement isn’t necessary at all. Unless your carpet has suffered water damage, pet urine damage or is consistently worn throughout, you can get away with carpet repair, and our Maryland carpet repair specialists have seen this type of magic happen many times.
Carpet repair works best for the following localized issues:
- Bold spots
- Burns from cigarettes or fireplace sparks
- Discolored spots, such as the result of spilled bleach
- Permanent stains from wine, coffee, paint and other liquids
- Gum or glue stains
- Frayed seams
- Holes due to pets chewing or scratching through
- Seam separation due to shrinkage
- Carpet pulled away from the threshold
- Wrinkly or wavy carpet
Carpet patching is the number one method used to repair permanent damage to your carpet. The damaged piece is cut out and replaced with an identical piece. However, this is easier said than done. The biggest challenge with carpet patching is obtaining this replacement piece.
- The best case scenario is that you kept a remnant of the original carpet. Unfortunately, most homeowners don’t consider the possibility of future repairs during carpet installation and the leftover carpet is frequently discarded.
- The second best option is re-stretching the carpet and trimming the sides. This works well on older carpets that might need re-stretching anyway, but on a newly installed carpet this approach might not work.
- Another option is removing a piece of carpet from an inconspicuous place, such as a closet. However, this either leaves you with a hole in the closet flooring or a mismatched closet flooring. If none of these outcomes bother you, then we’ve got ourselves a replacement piece!
- Finally, a carpet sample can be ordered from the manufacturer, which is one enough for the patching. The only risk we are running into is a slight difference in color, because the new sample may look different from your old carpet.
Carpet patching is not as simple as cutting out one piece and gluing in its replacement. Professional carpet repair involves some planning, preparation and requires special tools. The replacement piece has to be matched along the seams with the rest of the carpet, which is not easy, especially on multi-colored carpeting.
Carpet wrinkles are not only unsightly, but also dangerous as they can cause you to trip and fall. The truth is, over the years, carpeting may become loose or unhinge from the tack strips in some places. Carpets spanning over large areas and subject to a lot of traffic and movement are typically prone to this. Thankfully, carpet wrinkles and undone seams can be easily fixed through re-stretching. During this process, the carpet is disengaged from the wall and stretching tools are used to tighten it again.
Patching and re-stretching fix the majority of localized cosmetic carpet issues. But if your carpet looks dirty and dingy throughout, the best solution can be carpet cleaning. You can rely on Kent Clean for both carpet cleaning and repair services in Maryland. Give us a call to schedule your appointment or ask any questions about our specific approach.
Read More Testimonials->
REQUEST A FREE ESTIMATE
Maryland Floor Cleaning Services
Anne Arundel County Floor Cleaning Services: Annapolis (21401, 21403, 21409), Arnold (21012), Crofton (21114), Crownsville (21032), Gambrills (21054), Glen Burnie (21060, 21061), Hanover (21076), Jessup (20794), Pasadena (21122), Severn (21144), Severna Park (21146).
Baltimore County Floor Cleaning Services: Arbutus (21227), Catonsville (21228, 21250), Cockeysville (21030, 21031, 21065), Dundalk (21222), Edgemere (21219), Essex (21221), Garrison (21055), Lansdowne (21227), Lochearn (21207), Lutherville (21093), Middle River (21220), Milford Mill (21244), Overlea (21236), Owings Mills (21117), Parkville (21234), Park Heights (21215), Pikesville (21208), Randallstown (21133), Reisterstown (21136), Rosedale (21237), Timonium (21093), Towson (21204), White Marsh (21162), Woodlawn (21207), Baltimore City and more.
Carroll County Floor Cleaning Services: Eldersburg (21784), Finksburg (21048), Hampstead (21074), Manchester (21102), Marriottsville (21104), Taneytown (21787), Union Bridge (21791), Westminster (21157, 21158), Mount Airy (21771), New Windsor (21776), Sykesville (21784), Woodbine (21797), Taneytown (21787), and more.
Frederick County Floor Cleaning Services: Frederick (21701, 20702, 21703, 21709), New Market (21774) , Mount Airy (21771), Urbana (21704), Ijamsville (21754), Walkersville (21793), Libertytown (21762), and more.
Howard County Floor Cleaning Services: Clarksville (21029), Columbia (21044), Cooksville (21723), Dorsey (21075), Elkridge (21075), Ellicott City (21043), Fulton (20759), Glenelg (21737), Glenwood (21738), Granite (21163), Hanover (21076), Highland (20777), Jessup (20794), Lisbon (21765), Marriottsville (21104), North Laurel (20723), West Friendship (21794), Woodbine (21797), Woodstock (21163), and more.
Montgomery County Floor Cleaning Services: Olney (20832), Damascus (20872), Laytonsville (20882), Silver Spring (20910), Clarksburg (20871), Gaithersburg (20878), Germantown (20876), Bethesda (20816), Chevy Chase (20815), and more.
Prince George's County Floor Cleaning Services: Bowie (20715, 20716, 20720, 20721), Beltsville (20705), Adelphi (20783), College Park (20740,20742), Greenbelt (25689), Hyattsville (20781, 20782, 20783, 20784), Landover (20785), Laurel (20707, 20723), Springdale (20774), Upper Marlboro (20772, 20774), Woodlawn (21207).
Washington, D.C., Virginia, Northern Virginia